Contempt of Court Hold Your Ex-Spouse Accountable for Violating a Divorce Ruling

Contempt of Court

What Does It Mean to Be in Contempt of Court?

Holding someone in contempt of court is a powerful tool to help individuals hold their ex-spouse accountable for violating a divorce ruling. Essentially, contempt of a court is an action taken when an individual violates the terms of a court order.

Our attorney has unique experience with family law. Call (480) 526-4614 to get started with our firm! At Bastian Law Office, Attorney C. Cole Bastian has nearly 15 years of experience with family law and divorce, and serves as a Judge Pro Temp.

Divorce Contempt of Court

Contempt generally occurs when one party isn’t abiding by the terms of the divorce decree. If your ex-spouse is failing to comply with the terms of your divorce ruling, including child support payments, you can file a motion to hold them in contempt of court.

This is an important step in enforcing court orders, so it’s important to choose an attorney with the skill and experience to get the job done.

When Can a Motion Be Filed?

A motion for contempt of court can be filed any time your ex-spouse violates the court order in question.

How Do You Prove Contempt?

If you file a motion for contempt, the burden of proof is on you. For this reason, it is extremely helpful to have representation from an experienced Mesa divorce attorney during this process. When you retain our firm, Attorney Bastian can handle filing the motion, arranging to have the motion served to your ex, and can help you build a strong case to prove that a violation occurred.

If child support payments are coming late, or not at all, we may be able to help. Contact our firm today for a case consultation.

What Happens If Your Spouse Is Found in Contempt of Court for Child Support?

If you and your attorney were successful in proving that your ex is in violation of the court order, they will be found guilty of civil contempt of court. In most situations, the judge will give the defendant a specified amount of time to comply with the order. If they fail to do so, the judge will typically order them jailed.

Call Bastian Law Office Today

Court orders are legally binding, and your ex has an obligation to comply with the terms. If they are violating your divorce decree, contact Bastian Law Office immediately to hold them accountable. For nearly 15 years, Attorney Bastian has strived to provide clients with a high standard of counsel, and to help them resolve all their family law matters.

For experienced counsel from a skilled Mesa family lawyer, call us today at (480) 526-4614.

Speak With an Attorney Today

We offer easy initial consultations to discuss your legal options.
  1. Our firm's founder has nearly 15 years of experience
  2. Our founding attorney is a family law judge pro tem
  3. We provide a comprehensive understanding of your rights
  4. We keep our clients informed about the progress of their cases
  5. We work hard to shield you from as much stress as possible
  6. We are honest and upfront about all expectations
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter a message.